Monday, July 28, 2008

I have been so lazy...

I have been lacking in posts as of late. Sorry about that. It seems that there is so much to see here I just cannot fit it all into the short time we have, so when we get back to the hotel, all I want to do is go to sleep.

Since being here so far I have seen/or been to: Jefferson Memorial, Washington Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, Arlington Nat'l Cemetery/Tomb of Unknown Soldier, Capitol Building, White House, National Archives, Pentagon, Nat'l Air and Space Museum, and the National Holocaust Museum.

I have experienced public transportation here and have been able to compare it to public transit in NYC. The major difference here is this: the pace is slower, the cars are cleaner and carpeted, and overall it seems a little nicer. I suppose that is due mostly to the fact that NYC carries a larger volume of people and NYC does it quickly. We waited longer on trains here than we did in NYC.

None of these places made an impact on me the way the Holocaust museum did. I stood in a rail car that was used to transport over a hundred people for days at a time. Bear in mind this car was smaller than any hotel room in which we have stayed. I saw a pile of shoes that belonged to real people who were killed just because they were Jewish. I heard about Martin Luther and the hate that he directed toward the Jews just because they didn't want to join his reformation. I suppose he felt the same way about Catholics, too. This is the guy who founded the Protestant movement? Why are people willing to throw out Jesus' teachings about love just because someone sees things a bit differently? Okay, this isn't a theology blog. Enough about that. Suffice to say the Holocaust Museum was an enlightening experience.

These are some pictures I have taken over the last few days from various places around our nation's capital. These are just a few. Go to facebook to see my albums.






No comments: