Sunday, June 27, 2010

Day Two


Today was a busy day (for me at least). The kids and I met with the folks from SchoolCenter about our presentation tomorrow. The kids then came back to the hotel and hung out with Michelle until I came home about mid-afternoon. Yes, I did say "home". Michelle says "Home is where the heart is" and my heart is here in this hotel room with my 3 favorite people. Sorry to my @scared, it ain't you! Michelle ended up hanging out at the hotel most of the day other than our foray down Broadway St. (fun) for dinner.

We got a very early dinner in at a local place called Kaos Pizza, which is some really good brick-fired pizza. Michelle and I had a great Pepperonici pizza with a couple of kinds of cheese, pepperoni, and pepperonici. I think I am slowly being converted to a pepper lover (I kind of have to be). Jess got a Pesto pizza, which had sun-dried tomatoes, roasted chicken, goat cheese, and (obviously) Pesto! (my piece of that was pure heaven) JC opted for the standard, pepperoni. We all shared a couple of orders of garlic bread, which was alone worth the short drive from downtown. The place was in an old house which had been redone to fit the needs of a small restaurant. We opted to sit outside in the garden area, which was made all the more fantastic by the fact that it was about 80 degrees, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY! Eat your heart out Oklahoma. Kaos is located in a part of town known as the South Pearl Street Neighborhood which is right near Platt Park. It was a neat little neighborhood which has some little shops on all four corners, just down the street. This was the location of one of Denver's first trolley cars in 1893. Cool!

Once we left Kaos and drove to the neighborhood, we noticed a great little bakery called Pajama Baking Co. They had homemade ice cream, some artisan breads, and some really tasty coffee. We bought some dinner rolls, which are remarkably similar to my Ma-maw's rolls, a couple of cookies, and the girls got some ice cream. Michelle's ice cream was the sourest stuff I've ever eaten and Jessica's was seriously DARK chocolate. My cookie is sitting here next to me, mocking me. Yes. Mocking.

We really enjoyed trying some of Denver's local food. This place has a lot of stuff to see and do. I think I could live here. The weather (in the summer) seems to be awesome, at least compared to Oklahoma. There are bicycle lanes everywhere. They have a lot of public transportation. There are mountains when you look West. Plus, according to JC, when you move here everyone gets a complimentary bicycle and dog! Now where are those job classifieds?

No comments: